Healthy Inside, Radiant Outside
Asparagus with Poached Eggs and Paleo Hollandaise
This paleo breakfast recipe has several steps but is well worth the extra effort. Crispy prosciutto and poached eggs rest on a bed of fresh asparagus, all topped with a rich hollandaise sauce. The flavors combine to form a delicious and savory breakfast.
1 bunch fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
4 pieces prosciutto
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 egg yolks
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp hot water
1 tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cayenne
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in asparagus and cook 4-5 minutes until tender. Remove from the water and place into an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook the prosciutto in a small skillet until crispy. Set aside.
3. For the hollandaise sauce, whisk the egg yolks in a medium metal bowl. Add in the olive oil, water, lemon juice, salt and cayenne and continue whisking. Place the bowl over a pot of boiling water so that the bottom of the bowl is steamed. Whisk constantly until the sauce thickens, about 1-2 minutes.
4. To poach the eggs, fill a large skillet with water. Heat to barely a simmer and add vinegar to water. One at a time, crack the eggs into a small bowl and use the bowl to slowly slide the eggs into the water. Cook for 4 minutes or until the egg whites are set and yolks are still soft. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a paper towel-lined plate.
5. To serve, divide the asparagus between plates. Place the prosciutto over the asparagus. Top with poached eggs and hollandaise. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe from https://paleogrubs.com/